INFECTION PREVENTION AND CONTROL
Infections and Diseases come in many forms and they are spread by five main routes of transmission:
- Common Vehicle (such as a contaminated community water supply)
- Vector(such as mosquitoes, flies and vermin)
Our systems offer solutions and protocols for the three primary routes: Contact, Droplet and Airborne Transmissions.
1) Contact is the most frequent mode and it is divided into direct and indirect contact.
- Direct contact involves bodily contact with an infected person and can be as simple as shaking hands.
- Indirect contact involves contact with a shared surface, such as a toy, door-knob, furniture, keyboard or telephone.
2) Droplet transmission is usually generated from coughing, sneezing or talking. Droplets can be transferred from person to person or from person to surface to person.
3) Airborne transmission occurs when an infectious agent is suspended in your breathing space either on its own or attached to some other airborne particle such as dust.
“PROACTIVE INFECTION PREVENTION IS THE KEY TO MINIMIZING INFECTIOUS DISEASE TRANSMISSION.”
There are many practices you can incorporate into your daily routines to protect yourself from infection.
The Speak Up Initiatives by the Joint Commission offer these 5 tips to avoid infections:
- Clean your hands. Washing your hands regularly is the most important thing “YOU” can do to prevent infection.
- Make sure health care providers clean their hands or wear gloves
- Cover your mouth and nose when you cough or sneeze.
- If you are sick, avoid close contact with others and vice versa.
- Get shots to avoid disease and fight the spread of infection.
TAKING IT TO THE NEXT LEVEL!
Bio Protection Systems offers our Whole-Space Disinfection and Antimicrobial Surface Protection Protocols to help protect you from infections in any living environment.