At Bio Pro Mold Inspections and Testing we see a lot of mold and a lot of mildew. We also get a lot of questions about how to spot the difference between the two. Naturally, you don’t want either in your house. Both are invasive, irritant fungi that aren’t welcome in your living space. You’ll find them in warm, moist areas and on the surface of everything from food to walls and clothing. But what’s the difference between mold and mildew, and what should you do when you discover affected areas?

Understanding the Difference Between Mold and Mildew

Identifying Mildew

Mildew is found on surfaces, and never far beneath them. You can identify mildew as a fuzzy patch of white or gray fungus in a moist area. Luckily, mildew is easily treated with cleaning agents and good old fashioned scrubbing. It may be a good idea to use disinfectants on the infected area after the mildew is gone to prevent future outbreaks.

Identifying Mold

Mold is unlike mildew in that it often goes far beyond the surface. It can be black or green and is usually in much larger patches. It can be fuzzy or slimy, and it has a thicker appearance than mildew. Mold can be toxic, affect allergies and asthma, and cause headaches and lung problems. Removing mold is an intensive process and can involve taking an infected room down to the studs to eradicate the infection.  It’s best to call in the professionals when you have a mold infestation because we can perform proper testing and ensure that your home is treated according to industry standards.

Protecting Your Home

Keeping your home free of mildew and mold is as easy as keeping your home clean and dry. Don’t leave wet laundry in piles, don’t leave food sitting out to rot, and always keep an eye out for leaks and pipe damage. If you think you have mold or mildew or need to have mold cleaned from your home, please contact us. We can help you address the current issue and safeguard your home from future mold growth.