The thought of mold is every homeowner’s nightmare, but how can you tell if mold is growing in your home? The first step is to learn the signs of mold, and the best step is to hire a certified mold inspector.
Identify the Signs of Mold
Mold can be hard to detect, but there are distinct signs that could indicate mold. These indicators include:
- A musty, pungent smell, often described to be similar to that of dirty wet clothes, rotting plants, or damp earth
- Discolored or oddly colored (often circular) spots on walls, often in shades of green, yellow, white, and brown
- Spots on walls, wood, ceilings, and floors that multiply or expand over time
Identify Your Symptoms
In addition to looking for visible signs of mold, be aware of physical symptoms that could be affecting you and your family. Mold hides behind wallpaper, under floorboards, and in other secluded places, but it can still impact your health. Here’s what to look for:
- Flu-like or cold-like symptoms that refuse to go away
- Coughing, stuffy nose, and sore throat that worsen in certain areas or at certain times of the year
- Itchy eyes
- Trouble breathing and asthma attacks
- Skin irritation
So, you suspect mold. Now what?
Well, start by ensuring your home is well-ventilated and try to reduce humidity to prevent further growth. You may also want to invest in a dehumidifier to reduce the humidity in your home. There are lots of easy ways ensure the environment is not conducive to mold growth, but if you recognize the signs, it’s already too late.
If signs and symptoms of mold are clearly present and give you reason to believe that mold is growing in your home, contact a professional mold inspector to conduct testing and provide confirmation. If mold is present, your Louisiana mold inspector will recommend the proper steps for mold treatment and removal.
For more information on mold inspection and testing, please contact Bio Pro Mold Inspection and Testing.