DIY projects can be great, but they can also make a bad problem worse.

While some Do It Yourself projects can be easy and enjoyable, not all home improvement tasks should be attempted by homeowners. There are a number of reasons why attempting to tackle mold issues by yourself is not a good idea.

Homeowners that are looking to rid their homes of the dangers of mold exposure at lower costs often turn to commercial removal kits. But do these self-help solutions work – and are they safe?

*REMEMBER: There’s a reason that many states require a person be licensed in order to assess and remediate mold.


The first, and possibly the most important reason being, that without a proper inspection you won’t know what strain you are dealing with. The consequences of this lack of knowledge can be destructive. The inspection process itself ought to be done by an established professional who is able to spot symptoms of mold infestation, and possible locations where mold may be lurking.


Since mold is highly airborne, it can spread to various areas of the home if not removed correctly, although using a Vacuum or Shop-Vac may seem to help, it can actually drive mold into the air. A simple mistake that is made by Homeowner’s trying to clean mold problems themselves, is that they haven’t properly set up the correct containment system. See, spores can become airborne and contaminate other areas of your house. A professional containment system and negative air machine likely need to be set up.

Problems With Using Bleach

If you’re a DIY type who chooses to remove mold yourself, there exist some serious risks. One thing to realize is that Bleach does not kill mold.While Bleach will remove the surface appearance, but it doesn’t kill the roots, which will quickly re-bloom if the area remains wet. Also, Bleach does not kill mold on porous surfaces, and can actually contribute to future growth. Bleach also produces fumes that pollute the air and can become harmful to humans and pets. Chlorine Bleach will also lose its effectiveness over time.

black mold in the corner of a room

Black mold in the corner of room wall.

The Bottom Line is that Bleach is inefficient; it only slows down the development of spores for a short time.


You can have severe reactions or allergies to different types of mold, while other people have none at all. Most people are unaware of these allergies until they start to see the symptoms. There are also toxic spores that can be extremely dangerous, even in small amounts. There are special supplies and equipment needed in order to properly perform a mold remediation job. This includes air filtration devices that get strategically placed inside the work area and are vented out through a window to create negative air pressure. This ensures that no outside contaminants are entering the structure during remediation.

For Help with Mold Removal

If you find yourself needing help with mold removal, or if you’d just like some professional advice before beginning do it yourself, we suggest consulting with a Professional. You can schedule a free in-home consultation with a professional that knows how to inspect for mold issues. You can get some qualified advice, and then determine whether or not it’s a job you’re prepared to tackle yourself.  Just follow this link to find an experienced Mold Inspector in your area.